Saturday, September 1, 2012

hospitality

God is serious about hospitality. He mentions it many times throughout His Word, the Bible. To name a few:

When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality. Romans 12:13

Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay. 1 Peter 4:9

It is very American to be protective over "your" space... and the "right" to your own space.... root of that - Selfishness - and yes, I AM SELFISH. But in His love for me He has shown me my disobedience and struck me with a convicting picture....

Me standing before God after my earthly life is over and God is saying to me, "Why didn't you show My hospitality and i am not talking matching your center piece with your place settings to show off your grand matching skills for a dinner affair but MY sacrificially hospitality?

OUCH!

Needless to say it has taken time for me to get some of God's thinking about this subject...and i know i have further selfishness He wants me to be rid off. I had said that i liked the idea of all living in a community like the early churches did... with everything in common ...but obviously had not been living that way. So i determined to say yes to any opportunity to have someone stay with us.. to open our home to show His love to a weary heart.

Last year we had the privilege of loving Tony Klazar. An Iraqi friend whom God rescued when he was just a teen. Even though we aren't old enough to be parents of a 23 year old or even a teenager,  he became like one of our boys for little while... helping him get his first job, his drivers license, his first car, through a few heartaches, and helping him discern God's next step. It wasn't always easy. We both prayed and were concerned about him a lot. He has moved on to His next step in life now and i feel as though i hosted a prince.. a young man that God will use and is using mightily to show and share His love with the world! No telling what God can do in Tony as he continues to submit His life to Jesus! What a privilege it was to have him in our home for a year!


Now my heart is giddy as God gives us Martina, a young slovakian woman. I really feel that her entry into our home is His timing not only for her growth but to help us as well. I am excited for Martina's coming and the possibility of the transformation He can do in her heart and mind if she is so willing.

This is Martina with Elijah in Solvakia when he was 5 months old:


If you ever want to open your home to someone and show sacrificial love. Please contact me ... through GPPD we are connected to great opportunities to help show and share His love to people in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment