Monday, March 8, 2010

changing a doer's mindset

“My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

How do we get to this place where we are desperate for Him, poor in spirit, dust ready to be swept by the wind, clay in our Potter’s hands ready to be molded into what He wills? I always want to know the steps, the plan, the “to do” list. I say to God, “show me my sin” so I can get rid of it and “make me humble” so I can get on with doing for Him. But God doesn’t operate in lists. He operates out of relationship.

It is the same thing in regards to His will. We are seeking Him to find His will, but He says the only way you can find my will is if you are connected to me. It is not about doing for Him; He needs nothing from us. It is about this relationship that He wants from us.

If I want to know His plans I have to be connected to Him. That is how He reveals His will. No need to sit around and plan what I can do for Him. Just seek Him; not His hand, His blessing, or His will, just HIM.

So the circle comes around if I want to be connected to Him I must realize who HE is and who I am. When I realize the truth of that then I become humble, broken, teachable, moldable, without that haughty pride and I can commune with God.

“You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”

Psalm 51:16-17

Jonathan pointed out last night during our Singles Small Group that ‘contrite’ means to be crushed into small particles or ground into powder. The same picture God showed me a few week ago of my will becoming like dust so that I can be swept away by the mighty wind (Him).


If I want a thriving relationship with God and God to work in and through my life as He wills I must yield my way, right, will, my sin, all of me to Him daily.


“But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: ‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’ Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, [recognize your sin], and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord,

and he will lift you up.” James 4:6-10

No comments:

Post a Comment