Thursday, January 26, 2012

spend less give more: FOOD



4 principles to spending less on FOOD so you can give more.....

Over the past year as the main money spender on food I have felt very guilty about the amount of money i waste on food each month. Knowing that i could make a change that would help us to save more money and to be able to give more to those who are in desperate need for food/water…. I made a plan. 

The plan helps us eat both healthy and cheap (which can be tricky as you healthy eaters know). I am a beginner at this all but I hope these tips, recipes (to come), and ideas can really help you as well. My goal is to spend $100 or less a week on all food/grocery/toiletries/cleaning supplies/diapers/etc./basically anything other than gas for the vehicles.

Our thought is if we can save even $10 extra a week it is worth it. With that $10 we can feed an impoverished child breakfast lunch and dinner for 10 days...talk about making a difference!!!!

1. Think Deeply and Make a Goal

Know when there are times for fasting and when there are times for feasting. We are soooo blessed here in America. Most Americans are use to daily feasting. Snacks, luxuries meals, gourmet drinks, and desserts are just a part of our feasting routine. We have so much food that it goes bad and we throw away food before we even get to enjoy it.  We don’t know what it is like to go without, to starve, or even fast. And when there are times of feasting such as holidays we just gorge ourselves till we are miserable. I think God has a word for all of this: gluttony, and He sees it as sin. I am the first to confess I participate in it ALL the time. 

A cause helps motivate us all to eat more wisely. Stating a goal or cause to give to, putting a picture from that country or cause on your fridge will motivate you and your family to continue to start a healthy pattern of cheap and better eating in your life. When we are doing it for someone in desperate need… something kicks in and we step up to the plate. 

Limiting your food funds is a great start. It helps for the first 6 months to have a cash only budget for your food spending (including eating out). We even include our toiletries, diapers, etc. in it as well. 

2. Think Ahead and Eat at Home

Planning your meals a week ahead of time saves on last minute costly food decisions and less trips to the grocery. Also making a plan to always eat in and pack lunches for those that are out and about really makes a difference on the food bill.  As a beginner mom at all of this I am learning the healthy, cheap meals I can make ahead and freeze as well as the best recipes to save on the basics.

Once a month I have a make ahead meal day. Where I prepare, cook, and freeze meals so that we always have something easy to have for dinner on those crazy busy days. Also once a week/2 weeks I make the basics that we use mostly every day. For us that is bread, tortillas, beans (we buy dry beans verses canned - cheaper), and Almond Milk. 

Using the "cash only" way with a limit of spending per week (like our $100) at the grocery (and everywhere for that matter) helps from buying things not on the list and helps to evaluate what I really “want/need”. 

3. Think Vegetarian
I use to think eating healthy meant forking out the big $$, but not always true. Most studies show that a less meat diet is more healthier (though that could change – you know one day it’s healthy one day it is not). I have found many vegetarian meals that my meat loving hubby will enjoy, my kiddos enjoy as well, and are full of goodness our bodies need, and are cheap! Will be posting some of my favs soon. 

4. Think Basic and Bulk (not pre-made/processed foods)
Buying in bulk, gardening, and sharing foods are all great helps in saving bucks. I have no green thumb… an honestly pay no real attention to my garden but somehow… it still yields.. so every year I make it a little bigger. Gardening is a great way to teach your little ones powerful life lessons as well. 

I also have a massive gardening sister… and reap from that every year… she is sooo generous with her goodies. I have been buying local happy chicken eggs too from friend’s children and that saves a couple of bucks. 

This is what I have recently started to buy in bulk and from where:
Chicken - Zaycon Foods 40lbs of Skinless, boneless chicken Breasts for $60 that is $1.50 a pound
Black and White Beans - In Richmond (where my friend Martha goes quit frequently) these guys sale them for $16 for 25 lbs.... can't beat that. 
Whole Wheat Grain (I have a great friend that has a mill and lets me use it for free about an hour every 2/3 weeks) - Either this place or this place you can get them for around to $11.40 for 25lbs. 
Natural Peanut Butter (no sugar, salt) - Cheapest you can find it here.
Dates– for homemade almond milk - Cheapest you can find it here.
Almonds (Sams) – for homemade almond milk

If you are local and want to join an order for any of these let me know and i will let you know the details. If you are not local i am sure there are places like these near you and Zaycon is statewide.

You can make 1 large/long loaf of delicious homemade healthy whole grain wheat bread (minus all additives) for $1 why spend $2.50 or more for something not a big and not a good. That is $1.50 can feed an impoverished child well for a day and a half. It adds up! It is actually pretty easy...

and it is worth it.


1 comment: