Thursday, December 8, 2011

our Christmas traditions

Today we walked into the library and Elijah gasped and shouted "a Christmas tree" and "presents for Jesus!!" .....it made me smile from the inside out.
here are a few of our little family's Christmas Traditions...i love being a mommy... and i love the awe my children have for Jesus... i pray that won't ever fade. There giddiness makes me giddy too! Follow the links for more details...
Tradition # 1 : Advent - Every night before bed the children run to the advent Calendar. The pockets we have stuffed with...
a Nations Doll ordainment and card that tells a little story about the people the Doll represents,


a little scroll ordainment with verse references that tell of the purpose of Christmas,
A piece to a nativity scene,
and a Christmas cookie or treat!
While the kids are getting the goodies out of the pocket we are lighting the candles on our advent log.
The we cozy up near the tree and read the Bible story, eat our goodies and pray for the people that the Nations doll represents. Then the kids hang the ordainments on the tree and we help them to blow out the candles..
except for last night i forgot that last part.... and well ...due to the smell of a fresh log fire..remembered it and.... we had to go to the store for more candles today.
Tradition #2: We read books and watch videos that remind us of the purpose of Christmas. If you have any additions that might be good for our collection please let us know!
Tradition #3: Make Christmas Cookies Every Week

Christmas layer cookie that you can use to describe the purpose of Christmas like this.
and more...
Tradition #4: Christmas Gifts for Him Instead of buying gifts for each other on Jesus' Birthday we spend the month giving Jesus gifts that we know He would like. Like Elijah's list: "being nice my brother", "giving food to somebody that need food", "spending time with God", last year he even painted a picture for Him and we always look through this catalog and let the kids choose a gift to give in Jesus' honor.
Tradition #5: Read through our Christmas Coffee Table Books

Tradition #6: Kiss under the Mistletoe
Tradition #7: Have a Jesus Birthday Cake and party on Christmas day at my mom and dad's home and with my sister's family. Sweet times!
Tradition #8: And on Christmas Morning throw a royal Party for Jesus with a star treasure hunt for the "wise men", dancing, singing, finishing the Jesus story, and simply Celebrating Him because He is worthy.
Tradition #9: We always start the month off with going to a Christmas Parade with my parents and nieces and nephews.
Tradition #10: We always go to some live nativity together. This year we are going here.
Tradition #11: We celebrate Christmas with family. One of my favorite times is the Christmas Eve Candlelight service with Jonathan parents and our family and going to Edith's afterwards for yummy goodies and fellowship.
Tradition #12: Christmas Day Breakfast at my Grandmas with my whole fam. Great Maw Maw and Great Paw Paw cousins, aunts and uncles!
Tradition #13: Oh and i forgot... hunting for the Christmas Tree and decorating it together....we usually get ours right after thanksgiving to have it ready for advent.
We Celebrate the miracle of Jesus all month long...it is a great time to remember and teach our children. Of course we can celebrate Him everyday but this is a special time to remember the details of God's amazing plan through Jesus' birth. It is truly "a wonder-full time of year"....
Let each generation tell its children of Your mighty acts; let them proclaim Your power. Psalm 145:4

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,

    I am Jenn Hambrick's mom. I read your blog every now and then and have enjoyed it but also been very inspired. I love your heart for your family and the practical and creative ideas you have for celebrating the birth of Jesus.You actually have made my husband and I pause and think. Which I think is a good thing. I was wondering if I can link your blog from mine ? I am sure my readers would benefit by connecting to yours but especially your heart for the things you share. We also have adopted 22 children from all over the world and I was reading your posts about your heart for adoption. Anyway thanks for sharing so clearly the heart of Jesus for the family and for children...especially the orphans. Merry Christmas...Jeane ( Briggs )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeane, Please do! I want to connect yours to mine as well i am sure you have great insights with loving your children and adoption. I have often thought about connecting with you and asking you questions about adoption too! Maybe i can get your email info from Jenn. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heidi...My email is mommajeaneb@aol.com . It is public so I don't mind sharing it here. My blog link is http://blessedbyachild.blogspot.com/

    Keep sharing in your blog - You inspire even us oldies with your heart for Jesus.

    Jeane

    ReplyDelete